Cowboy Junkies, from Black Eyed Man
Cowboy Junkies debuted in 1986 with The Trinity Sessions, recorded in an abandoned church. Critics loved it. Luckily, I didn't start with that one, as I wouldn't have gone back to the well. The disc has a dynamic range running from soft and slow to softer and slower. Despite the beauty of the performance and arrangements, I always have difficulty staying awake through the whole record.
Black Eyed Man, from 1992, still has the sleepy vocals of the gorgeous Margo Timmins, but the band isn't afraid to dig in. These are deep songs with complex narratives and emotions, and repeated listens are rewarding. "A Horse in the Country" became a favorite because I can play it on the guitar, and the song is within my vocal range.
These Canadians are still at it, getting strong reviews for the new Renmin Park.
But lately it just seems to me
That this life has lost its mystery
Friday, November 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment